The Minor Injuries Unit is based at The Western General Hospital, Crewe Road South, Edinburgh EH4 2XU. It is open seven days a week from 0800 to 2000.
- Patients can self refer to the minor injuries department by calling NHS24 on 111 .if they fit the below inclusion criteria.
- Patients will be offered a video call consultation if they have a smart phone, or a face to face appointment if they do not.
- Following a video call consultation, the nurse practitioner will either give self care advice, or book a face to face appointment.
MINOR INJURIES INCLUSION CRITERIA
- Patients over 8 years old and over
- Must be able to make their own way to minor injuries unit
- Injuries within 14 days
- Wounds less than 24 hours old with controlled bleeding with or without foreign body
- Foreign body in nose or ear
- Crush injury to fingers or toes with no wound
- Ring removal from fingers or toes
- Minor burns or scalds (not involving hands, face or genitals)
- Head or face injuries (without loss of consciousness, vomiting, disturbed vision, altered behaviour, reduced conscious level, or patients with haematological conditions or patients on anticoagulation therapy.
- Eye injuries (without visual disturbances or penetrating injury)
- Limb injuries (below shoulder or below knee)
- Animal bites including insect bites and stings
- Patients with fracture that require review after being treated outwith NHS Lothian
- Animal bites with localised swelling swelling and no evidence of allergic reaction